Did you know that the federal government considers floods to be the nation’s most common natural disaster? It’s true! So, as a homeowner, you will certainly want to have flood insurance if you are on or around water. After all, seeing as a flood is typically rising water that is presented from torrential rain, overflowing waters, and mudflow, a great deal of damage can be done to a home, meaning that homeowners can be left with costly repairs. So, wouldn’t you like to be prepared with flood insurance, rather than having to bear an expensive list of repairs?
While most people have a homeowners insurance policy, it’s important to keep in mind that most damage caused by floodwaters is likely not covered. In fact, most homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage from flooding or any other source of groundwater, unless the cause of the intrusion is covered. Therefore, obtaining flood insurance is certainly of importance!
We believe that every homeowner should get a quote and be equipped with flood insurance if you are on or near water. That’s why, here at Kim Holland Homes, as Massapequa realtors, we have gathered some reasons as to why you should have flood insurance of your own. If you are all set to discover what these reasons are, be sure to continue reading:
- Flood Damage: Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in America. FEMA reports that flooding causes billions of dollars in damage every year, costing Americans about $8.2 billion in damages annually. Without flood insurance, the homeowner is left to cover the costs of the repairs entirely on their own, which certainly isn’t ideal. Therefore, you will want to be prepared with flood insurance.
- It’s Better to Be Safe Than Sorry: A lot of homeowners feel that if they aren’t on the water, they aren’t at risk for dealing with any flood-related issues. But, this just isn’t the case. In fact, about 25% of flood damage claims actually come from low or moderate-risk areas. However, you will still want to make yourself aware of which flood zone your home is within. The following are the top flood zones that are presented by FEMA, and are rated by levels of severity for example X, AE, and V.
- The Coverage of Flood Insurance: There are two major categories that flood insurance covers: coverage that protects the home, and coverage that protects the personal property within it.
- Damage to the Home’s Structure: Flooding can damage a home’s actual structure, along with its electrical systems and HVAC units. From warped walls, mold, and even cracks in the foundation, water can certainly make any home its victim.
- Damage to Personal Property. If water enters a home, it’s likely that personal belongings will get damaged. By having personal property coverage, you may also receive a payout to cover the costs to replace the damaged items.
Being prepared for natural disasters is certainly of importance! These are just a few reasons as to why you should consider having flood insurance for your own home.
Are you all set to buy a home with a realtor in Massapequa, New York to purchase your own flood insurance for? If so, please get in touch with us here at Kim Holland Homes, as we would be pleased with the opportunity to assist you with selecting yours!